Lawrenceville Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
Hit and Run accidents are serious crimes that can have devastating consequences for the victims. Not only can these accidents result in serious injuries, but they can also leave victims feeling confused, vulnerable, and unsure of their rights and options for seeking justice.
In this article, we will delve into the basics of hit-and-run accidents, the different types of hit-and-run accidents, the factors that can influence a person’s decision to commit a hit-and-run, the evidence used to prosecute hit-and-run drivers, the defenses used by a hit and run drivers, the ways hit and run victims can seek justice, and the role of a Lawrenceville hit and run accident lawyer.
We will also discuss the importance of seeking legal representation as soon as possible, and how a professional hit and run accident lawyer can help guide you through the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation and justice you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a hit and run accident, this article is essential reading to understand your rights and options for seeking justice.
What is a Hit an Run Accident?
A hit-and-run accident is a criminal offense that occurs when a driver is involved in an accident and leaves the scene without providing identification or rendering aid to any injured parties. In the state of Georgia, hit-and-run accidents can be classified as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the severity of the accident and the extent of any injuries or property damage.
The penalties associated with hit-and-run accidents in Georgia can range from fines and license suspension to imprisonment. For example, a hit-and-run accident that results in property damage only may be considered a misdemeanor and result in fines and license suspension. On the other hand, a hit-and-run accident that results in injury or wrongful death is considered a felony and can result in imprisonment.
It’s worth mentioning that the driver must stay at the scene, call 911 and provide their personal information and insurance if there’s a collision with another person, animal, or property. If the driver leaves the scene without providing the information or rendering aid, it will be considered a hit-and-run.
It’s important for the driver to understand that hit-and-run accidents are taken very seriously by the legal system and can result in severe consequences. It’s also important for hit-and-run victims to understand their legal rights and options in seeking justice and compensation.
Types of Hit-and-Run Accidents
Hit-and-run accidents can take various forms and can involve different types of vehicles and victims. These accidents can happen on any type of roadway and can occur due to a variety of factors. The two main categories of hit-and-run accidents are vehicular hit-and-run accidents and pedestrian hit-and-run accidents.
In both of the examples below, the driver’s failure to stay at the scene, provide their personal information and insurance and render aid if necessary, would be considered a ‘Hit and Run’.
- Vehicular hit-and-run accidents involve one or more vehicles and can happen on any type of roadway, from city streets to highways. These accidents can occur due to a variety of factors such as reckless driving, distracted driving, or driving under the influence.
- Pedestrian hit-and-run accidents involve a vehicle striking a pedestrian, whether on a sidewalk or crossing a street. Pedestrian hit-and-run accidents can be particularly devastating, as pedestrians have little protection from the impact of a vehicle.
Both types of hit-and-run accidents can have severe consequences for the victims, including injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional trauma. It’s important for hit-and-run victims to understand their legal rights and options in seeking justice and compensation.
It’s worth mentioning that hit-and-run accidents involving bicyclists or motorcyclists also fall under this category.
Factors that Can Influence a Person’s Decision to Commit a Hit and Run
There are several factors that can influence a person’s decision to commit a hit-and-run accident, including intoxication, mental state, and fear of the consequences.
- Intoxication, such as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, can impair a driver’s judgment and decision-making abilities, leading them to flee the scene of an accident. Intoxicated drivers may also be more likely to panic and make impulsive decisions to avoid arrest or prosecution for their actions.
- Mental state can also play a role in a driver’s decision to commit a hit and run. Drivers who are experiencing mental health issues, such as depression or anxiety, may be more likely to flee the scene of an accident out of fear or confusion.
- Fear of the consequences can also be a factor in a driver’s decision to commit a hit and run. Drivers may flee the scene out of fear of being arrested or facing criminal charges, or out of fear of losing their driver’s license or facing financial penalties.
It’s important to understand these factors as they can help to explain why some drivers choose to flee the scene of a car accident and can also assist in the prosecution of hit and run drivers. A driver’s decision to flee the scene can be a criminal act, and it’s crucial for hit and run victims to understand their legal rights and options in seeking justice and compensation.
Defenses Used by Hit-and-Run Drivers
Hit-and-run drivers may use various defenses in an attempt to avoid prosecution and reduce their charges or penalties. Some of the most common defenses used by hit-and-run drivers include claiming that the victim provoked the car accident, claiming that the driver was in self-defense, and claiming that they were not aware of the accident.
- Claiming that the victim provoked the accident is a defense that can be used in cases where the hit-and-run driver argues that the victim’s actions were the cause of the car accident. This defense can be difficult to prove and may not be accepted in court.
- Claiming self-defense can be used in cases where the hit-and-run driver argues that they were acting in self-defense when they left the scene of the car accident. This defense can be difficult to prove as it requires the driver to show that they were in imminent danger and had no other option but to flee the scene.
- Claiming that they were not aware of the accident is another defense that can be used by hit-and-run drivers. However, this defense is also difficult to prove and may not be accepted in court.
It’s important to note that these defenses are not always successful, and a hit-and-run driver may still be found guilty of the crime. A skilled Lawrenceville Hit and Run Accident Lawyer can help hit-and-run victims to navigate the legal process and build a strong case against the driver, regardless of the defenses used.
It’s crucial for hit-and-run victims to understand the defenses that a driver may use and the importance of having a strong legal strategy in place to counter them. A Lawrenceville car accident lawyer can help to evaluate the evidence and build a strong case to ensure that the hit-and-run driver is held accountable for their actions.
Evidence Used to Prosecute Hit-and-Run Drivers
There are several types of evidence that can be used to prosecute hit-and-run drivers, including eyewitness testimony, forensic evidence, and surveillance footage.
- Eyewitness testimony is one of the most common forms of evidence in hit-and-run cases. Eyewitnesses can provide valuable information about the driver and the vehicle involved in the car accident, as well as the events leading up to and immediately following the accident. Eyewitnesses can also help to establish the driver’s state of mind at the time of the car accident, which can be an important factor in determining criminal intent.
- Forensic evidence is another important form of evidence in hit-and-run cases. Forensic evidence can include physical evidence such as tire tracks, paint samples, and DNA. This type of evidence can help to establish the identity of the driver and the vehicle involved in the accident, as well as the events that occurred at the scene.
- Surveillance footage can also be used as evidence in hit-and-run cases. Surveillance footage from cameras in the area of the car accident can provide valuable information about the driver and the vehicle involved, as well as the events leading up to and immediately following the auto accident.
It’s worth mentioning that the evidence-gathering process should happen as soon as possible after the car accident to ensure the preservation of the evidence. This will help the prosecution to build a strong case and increase the chances of holding the hit-and-run driver accountable.
It’s crucial for hit and run victims to understand the importance of gathering and preserving evidence in a hit-and-run case, and the role of a hit and run car accident lawyer in helping to gather and present evidence in court.
How Hit and Run Victims Can Seek Justice
Hit-and-run victims have several options available to them when it comes to seeking justice and compensation for their injuries and losses.
- Filing a police report is one of the first steps that a hit-and-run victim should take. The police report will document the car accident and provide important information that can be used to identify and locate the hit-and-run driver.
- Filing a lawsuit is another option available to hit-and-run victims. A hit and run victim can file a lawsuit against the driver and their insurance company to seek compensation for their injuries and losses. This can include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- It’s important to note that the legal process can be complex and time-consuming, and it’s crucial for hit and run victims to have a skilled attorney on their side to help navigate the legal process and build a strong case.
A Lawrenceville car accident lawyer can provide guidance and representation in court, assist with insurance claims, and help hit and run victims understand their legal rights and options. It’s important for hit-and-run victims to seek legal representation as soon as possible, as there is a statute of limitation that applies to personal injury claims.
In summary, hit and run victims have several options available to them when it comes to seeking justice and compensation. It’s crucial for hit and run victims to understand their legal rights and options and to seek the help of a skilled hit and run accident lawyer to ensure that they receive the compensation and justice they deserve.
The Role of an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
When a person is a victim of a hit-and-run accident, it’s essential to have a skilled and experienced hit-and-run accident lawyer to represent them. A hit and run car accident lawyer can provide guidance and representation in court, assist with insurance claims, and help hit and run victims understand their legal rights and options.
Scholle Law, with over 25 years of experience in car accident claims, have the expertise to handle hit-and-run cases. They have recovered over $100,000,000 for their clients and have a reputation for aggressively fighting for victims of catastrophic and serious injuries as well as their families. Their team has a deep understanding of how insurance companies work and will take on the insurance companies to get the maximum compensation their clients deserve.
Unlike many other personal injury firms, Scholle Law handles a limited number of cases at any given time so that it can dedicate the resources it takes to give clients the best legal representation possible. They don’t take on a massive number of cases and accept the first settlement offer from the insurance company, even if the clients are owed more. They also try to negotiate with the insurance company, since it is typically a quicker process. But if the insurance company refuses to pay what the clients are owed, they will take them to court to maximize their compensation.
Hit-and-run car accidents are serious crimes that can have severe consequences for the victims, including injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional trauma. It’s crucial for hit & run victims to understand their legal rights and options in seeking justice and compensation.
The legal process can be complex and time-consuming, and it’s essential to have a skilled and experienced hit-and-run accident lawyer to represent you. Law firms like Scholle Law have the expertise and resources to handle hit & run cases and are dedicated to helping their clients receive the compensation and justice they deserve. They will take on the insurance companies and fight for their clients to get the maximum compensation.
It’s important for hit and run victims to seek legal representation as soon as possible to ensure that their rights are protected and to increase the chances of holding the hit & run driver accountable for their actions after a car crash.
What should I look for when hiring a Lawrenceville Car Accident Attorney?
When hiring a Lawrenceville car accident attorney, it is important to look for an experienced professional who has a successful track record in handling car accident cases. It is also important to find an attorney who is knowledgeable about Georgia’s civil laws and regulations, and who is committed to providing high-quality legal advice and representation. Additionally, it is important to find an attorney who is familiar with the local court system and has a good relationship with insurance companies. Finally, it is important to find an attorney who is passionate about helping their clients reach the best possible outcome.
How can a hit-and-run accident lawyer help me with my case?
A hit-and-run accident lawyer can help a person with their case by providing legal advice and representation. They can help the person understand their rights, gather evidence, and build a strong legal case. The lawyer can also guide the person through the court process, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent them in court. A hit-and-run accident lawyer can be a powerful advocate for the injured person and ensure they get the best possible outcome from their case.
Q. What qualifications should I look for in an experienced car accident attorney?
When looking for an experienced car accident attorney, look for qualifications such as a degree in law, several years of experience in dealing with car accident cases, and a proven track record of success. It’s also important to make sure that the attorney is knowledgeable about all relevant laws and regulations, and keeps up to date with any changes in the field. Additionally, an experienced car accident attorney should have excellent communication and negotiation skills, as well as the ability to think strategically.
What are the most common car accident injuries that require legal representation?
The most common car accident injuries that require legal representation include whiplash, broken bones, head and neck trauma, spinal cord injuries, and psychological trauma. These types of injuries can have long-term effects and require medical attention. Accident victims may be eligible to receive compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Legal representation can help accident victims to make sure they get the compensation they are entitled to.
Where can I find a personal injury law firm to represent my Lawrenceville Hit and Run case?
If you are in need of representation for a Lawrenceville hit-and-run case, the best option to consider would be Scholle Law. Scholle Law is a personal injury law firm with over 25 years of experience in representing victims of hit-and-run car accidents. They have a reputation for aggressively fighting for victims of catastrophic and serious injuries as well as their families. Their team has a deep understanding of how insurance companies work and will take on the insurance companies to get the maximum compensation for their clients.
Are there any Georgia lawyers who specialize in hit-and-run accident cases?
Yes, Scholle Law is a Georgia-based law firm that specializes in hit-and-run accident cases. The car accident lawyers at Scholle Law have extensive experience handling these types of cases and can provide the legal representation you need to recover the compensation you deserve.
Q. What should I expect if I hire Scholle Law as counsel in my hit-and-run case?
If you hire Scholle Law as counsel in your hit-and-run case, you can expect experienced and knowledgeable representation. The car accident lawyers at Scholle Law have a wealth of experience in handling hit-and-run cases and have successfully represented clients in various aspects of the criminal justice system. Our team of car accident lawyers is committed to providing the best legal advice and representation to ensure that your rights are protected. They have access to the latest legal resources and have a proven track record of success in such cases and can help you fight your case against the insurance company.
How will financial and non-financial damages be determined in a Lawrenceville Hit and Run claim?
In a Lawrenceville hit-and-run claim, both financial and non-financial damages can be determined by examining the circumstances of the accident. Financial damages would include any costs incurred for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, or other economic losses. Non-financial damages would include any pain and suffering caused by the accident. In order to prove damages, the injured party must present evidence to demonstrate that they have suffered losses, either financial or non-financial.
Does the state of Georgia have special laws related to hit-and-run accidents involving drunk drivers or minors?
Yes, the state of Georgia has special laws related to hit-and-run car accidents involving drunk drivers or minors. Depending on the circumstances, the penalties for this type of crime can be severe. If a person is found to be driving under the influence and causes an accident involving a minor, they can face fines and jail time, as well as increased sentences for any related charges. In addition, they may be required to pay restitution to the minor’s family. If the driver is a minor, they may face additional charges such as underage drinking or reckless driving. Regardless of the age of the driver, Georgia’s hit-and-run laws ensure that those responsible for a car crash must pay for the damages caused.
Is it worth pursuing legal action if someone has been injured in a hit-and-run accident or is the statute of limitations too short to make it worthwhile?
Yes, it is worth pursuing legal action if someone has been injured in a hit-and-run car crash. The statute of limitations for civil cases in Georgia is two years, so any legal action should be taken promptly. Victims of hit-and-run car accidents may be able to seek compensation for medical bills and other damages, so seeking the advice of a qualified attorney is important. An attorney can review the evidence available, explain the legal options available, and help victims decide whether they should pursue a car accident case.
For a free consultation contact the attorneys at Scholle Law today at (866) 582-1302, we can discuss every aspect of your case and do everything we can help you get a fair settlement, address your medical treatment and make sure you have the law on your side.